GLYCATION AND THE SKIN
By now most of us are aware that consuming excess simple sugars such as sodas and candy lead to a process called glycation. This is when proteins (like collagen), cross-link with the sugar molecule, compromising the collagen. As if that weren’t enough, harmful molecules are created, called AGEs.
These glycation end products, also increase as we age. Exposure to UV also accelerates AGEs. Asides from exacerbating skin conditions, they also increase skin wrinkling and stiffness, inflammation, sagging, and uneven skin tone.
Fortunately, there are ways to slow down the process:
- Cut down on sugars, like candy and cakes.
- Choose the right kind of fats, such as olive oil and cold water fish
- Protect your skin from the sun, by using SPF 30, daily.
- Watch your alcohol intake.
- Stay away from smoking! Not only does smoking deprive the skin of oxygen, but it creates more free radical damage.
- Boost your antioxidant intakes, such as berries, turmeric, and brightly colored veggies.
And lastly but not least, optimize your skin’s health by simply following a skin care routine, and using the right, products for your skin.
Trackback from your site.